Thursday, May 2, 2013

Garden All Over

My garden does not stop at the beds or boxes in the yard.  It extends onto my front porch.  These boxes have been there for years, alternately trying to support an herb garden or lettuce bed and one year, the neighbor's cat.  I inserted plastic forks and knives in an attempt to keep him from cat-napping in the planter, which apparently is ideally situated for sunny snoozing.

Yesterday I planted two of these boxes with various lettuces.  Lettuce is a cool weather crop and in Chicago we will likely have cool days interspersed with occasional days in the 80s (bleah).  So maybe I'll get a little lettuce.  And if not, I'll get some sun and exercise planting and tending.

I have yet to plant more herbs in my larger pots and planters - dill, basil, parsley, oregano, the list goes on.

I am not sure why I was bit so hard by the gardening bug this year.  It's been several years since I did much more than plant out a few pots of pansies and pop a few herbs into the ground.  Something is different.  I hope it means I am moving into a more motivated time of my life.  I have a lot to do and the years are passing.

Quotable quotes; in the category That's No Reason Not To Go There!

"There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden.  There's no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"  Richard Dawkins

No comments: