Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Angry!

I'm getting really angry at the squirrels.  They have made a regular habit of invading my finch feeders (I wouldn't begrudge them a little bird seed but they don't eat the black thistle seed - just spill it all over the ground so the finches can't have it) and sometimes pulling the feeders off the tree, smashing them and breaking the hangers.  They're like the slobs who go to a buffet, slop around in all the food but don't take any, leaving it a disgusting mess so nobody coming after them wants to eat it either.

They have routinely beheaded my tulips, year after year, even digging up and eating the bulbs.  Indeed, this is the first year I ever had tulips in the front yard, where I planted them some years ago.  They bloomed today.  Let's see how long these three can go before being squirrel-ated (they have already destroyed the potted tulips the Man brought me at Easter, and eaten the buds off every other tulip that managed to get close to blooming).

They have been digging in my potted pansies, most often just after I tucked a few nasturtium seeds into the soil.  And those seeds are expensive!  They molested the planter box I seeded with lettuces and mesclun.  And just yesterday, the climbed into a planter I thought was fairly impenetrable and dug around, uprooting the beans just on the verge of sprouting and apparently taking nips out of the shallots (also expensive) which are now dying instead of growing.

Like I said, I would not begrudge them a little something - but why do they have to leave waste and wreak havoc?  They truly are the bullies of the garden.  Somebody outta squeal on them.

Quotable quotes; in the category I Guess This Is About The Nicest Thing I Can Think Of Regarding Squirrels!

"I squirrel away sealed greeting cards that people give me so I can open them later when I'm having a bad day."  Emily Procter, Actress (CSI Miami)

No comments: