Monday, April 29, 2013

Come To The Garden

Last year we prepared a bed for planting - one that had been ignored for a few years.  I used the suggestions in this book which suggested laying down layers of newspaper, weed barrier cloth and mulch and watering well.  We weighted down the mulch (leaves) with an old garden trellis to help keep them from blowing away.  Worked pretty well.  I have not yet removed the mulch and weed cloth (book says newspaper can stay) but will check soon.

In the meantime I spent some time with Mr. dragging large planting tubs out of the garage and planting potatoes, strawberries, peas & beans and shallots.  I like planting in tubs.  It seems to mean smaller crops for me but less weeding as well.

So maybe this summer I will focus my blog on the garden and post pictures and updates of the progress.  Might be fun, interesting and good discipline if I can keep it up.

So far I noticed the potatoes (which I planted a week ago) just beginning to poke up through the soil, the strawberries ditto.  More later.

Quotable quotes; in the category I Guess I've Got Everything I Need, Then!

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."  Marcus Tullius Cicero

No comments: